How to Plan Periyar National Park Trip: A Complete Guide
Periyar National Park is a protected area located in the Western Ghats of Kerala, India. It was
established in 1982 and covers an area of about 778 square kilometres. The park is named after the
Periyar River, which flows through it. The park is home to a diverse range of flora and fauna,
including elephants, tigers, leopards, gaurs, sambar deer, and many bird species.
The park is known for its beautiful landscape, which includes rolling hills, dense forests, and tranquil
lakes. The Periyar Lake, located within the park, is a popular tourist destination, and visitors can
enjoy boat rides and bamboo rafting on the lake. The park also offers several other activities such as
wildlife safaris, trekking, and nature walks.
Periyar National Park is an important ecological hotspot and a biodiversity hotspot. The park is home
to several endangered species, and efforts are underway to protect and conserve the park's flora
and fauna. The park is also home to several indigenous tribal communities, who have lived in
harmony with the park's ecosystem for centuries.
- Location: Thekkady, around 4 km from Kumily, in the Idukki district of central Kerala
- Coverage Area: 778 square kilometers
- Established in: 1982
If you are planning a trip to Periyar National Park, here is a complete guide on how to plan your trip:
- Decide on the time of visit: The best time to visit Periyar National Park is from October to
February. However, if you want to see the park's lush greenery and waterfalls, you can plan
your visit during the monsoon season (June to September).
- Book your accommodation: There are several options for accommodation in and around
Periyar National Park, ranging from budget guesthouses to luxury resorts. It is recommended
to book your accommodation in advance, especially during the peak tourist season, to avoid
- Plan your activities: Periyar National Park offers several activities such as wildlife safaris,
trekking, bamboo rafting, boating, and nature walks. You can plan your activities according
to your interests and fitness level.
- Obtain permits: If you plan to go on a wildlife safari or trekking, you need to obtain the
necessary permits from the park authorities. You can book these permits online or through
- Transportation: Periyar National Park is well-connected by road, and you can reach the park
by bus, taxi, or private car. If you plan to drive, make sure to check the road conditions and
the availability of parking facilities.
- Pack appropriately: Make sure to pack appropriate clothing and footwear according to the
weather and activities you plan to do. It is also recommended to carry sunscreen, insect
repellent, and a first aid kit.
- Respect the park's rules: Periyar National Park has strict rules and regulations to protect its
wildlife and natural resources. Make sure to follow the park's rules and regulations, such as
not littering, not disturbing the wildlife, and not smoking in the park.
In summary, planning a trip to Periyar National Park involves deciding on the time of visit, booking
accommodation, planning activities, obtaining permits, arranging transportation, packing
appropriately, and respecting the park's rules. With proper planning, you can have a memorable and
enjoyable trip to Periyar National Park.